Saturday, August 22, 2009

Silent Frustration

Are you tired of EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY? Do you often say yes to the request of others even though you want to scream "NO-LEAVE ME ALONE"? Are you always listening to people's problems but you have no one who'll listen to you with the same level of empathy and compassion that you do? Are you always considered to be "The Strong One" Do you feel like if you don't do it than nothing gets done? Do you smile/laugh only because you're expected to? Are you unhappy with your job/career and don't know how to begin to change it? Is your tolerance for selfish inconsiderate people getting lower by the day? Do you find yourself wanting to be by yourself, often-very often? I'm sure I've only scratched the surface!
So...what do you do about all of this? You have to be willing to change what you're not able to accept and learn to accept what you're not able to change. It's alright to say no, we don't always have to say yes! We can't be too concerned about people getting angry or hurt if we tell them no because it's totally up to us whether we are wiling or not to do anything! I look at it this way - do I really want somebody in my circle who can't handle the word no? I refuse to allow anyone to have me walking on egg shells in fear that they may reject me or have a change of heart as far as our friendship/relationship goes. I'm all for lending a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on but when I notice I'm hearing the same things over and over again it's time for me to put some distance between us. I believe that negative energy can be transferred, don't misunderstand me-we all need to vent and more than once. However when someone keeps complaining about the same thing but they aren't doing anything to change it, it starts to take it's toll on the listener. I understand some things are beyond our control and we're rendered helpless at times but as for the things we can change we just have to do what we have to do and not worry about others feelings or opinions. We have to stop trying to do everything ourselves, and being "That Person" for our family and friends. We need to kindly remind them that we don't possess any super powers and make it crystal clear to them that we face life's issues too without divulging too much of our personal information(this can easily turn into a pity party.) When we appear to have it all together people assume just that, so it's easy for us to become "the go to person" when they're feeling down. We must learn to say no, take better care of ourselves and place ourselves higher on our list of priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment