Monday, August 10, 2009

Removing The Blinders

I've recently discovered so much in regards to religion. Until recently I've been listening to people in leadership more than I've been reading the word of God. Since I've been reading the bible and seeking God for myself I'm finding that things aren't at all the way I thought they were. I accepted Jesus as my savior during the faith movement-when the sermons were about naming and claiming those things you wanted from God. I don't recall anyone preaching in depth about obstacles, delays or anything like that, it was always about believing, speaking the word to your situation or having the faith to get what you want. As a result the way that I've received this type of preaching has left me a bit out of touch the with reality. Lately I've been examining the lives of believers(people who've accepted Jesus as their savior) and unbelievers(those who haven't) and I find there's not much of a difference outwardly. Both groups go to school, work, get married, build families, they both experience sickness or other hardships and so on; however the group of believers that I know including myself tend to wait on God to do everything because we were taught to seek Him and wait in all that we do. Then I look at the unbelievers they don't think all this is necessary, they just go for it and manage to live the same if not more fulfilling lives. I find myself at a crossroad, does it take all the the believers do to get where we want to be or not? I've seen unbelievers come through storms and they didn't even consider going to church. I can't say anything as far as if they prayed or had someone pray for them or not but I can tell you they didn't going around slinging oil and rebuking devils! I'm not questioning God about what He does or doesn't do, that's not an option for me. I am questioning if it takes all that we've been taught. I'm not saying anything against preachers in fact I think they could have been sincere, that they may believed themselves what they were teaching; but to me-some thing's missing. Okay let's say you have your believer who wants to get married, then you have your unbeliever who wants to get married also, of course the believer has been taught to pray about it and wait for God to bring her a husband but the unbeliever just starts looking, when I say looking she's now (inconspicuously I hope!)going places where it's possible to meet someone. Who do you think will get married first? Or lets say you have your believer who's looking for a job, remember the believer has been taught to pray and wait on God to show you where to go. However the unbeliever just starts pounding the pavement, who do you think will get a job first? Some people take things literally, I really think more caution should be taken when in a position of great influence. If you find yourself extremely confused, ask God- not man for clarity and be sure to wait to sense His guidance, not only will he show you what to do and He'll send the right people to help you as well.

1 comment:

  1. I have often thought the same thing...today's believers seem to be not remarkably different than the unbelievers. I think its great you have asked people to READ on their own...and not take EVERYTHING they hear to heart. The shephards of some flocks are lost themselves and people have to KNOW the word themselves to be able to decipher when they're being led astray. People DO have to keep in mind the reality of the word when applied to real life but not use modern day as a convenience to do whatever they please. This was a helpful hand.

    ReplyDelete